Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Regret and Change

"Never live in the past, but always learn from it." – Unknown

I used to say that I didn’t have regrets, and that I didn’t believe in them. I think this was in part because I was afraid of regrets. I would still love to believe that I don’t have regrets, but I am coming to realize that regret is not always a bad thing. Regret can facilitate change, and change is not only necessary but inescapable.

Change is happening whether you like it or not. There are some things that we can not control, and the only thing we can determine is how gracefully we accept that change. Change is a natural process that our minds, bodies, and souls do even without our realizing it. If you have something that you wish could be different, be aware of the changes going on in your life already – you might be naturally moving toward a better outcome than you would have thought of on your own. I would advise to let change happen naturally: don't fight it, but guide it toward where you want to be and let change guide you too. Sometimes the things that we think are accidents are just changes happening without our noticing. Want to change your past? Do it, but do it naturally. From what I’ve seen, trying to make unnatural changes doesn’t work. After all, the future is merely a reflection of the past.

Of course, one way to avoid regret in the first place is to change the way you deal with life in the first place. Recently, I discovered that because of my fear and my insecurity, I missed out on an opportunity that I could have really enjoyed. Do I regret the decisions that led me away from this opportunity? Yes. However, what I have now is just as good, and perhaps better. Not to mention that I would have missed out on all the lessons I’ve learned on the way if I had taken the opportunity. Does that mean that I won’t change my future? Absolutely not! Because of this experience, I have learned to believe in myself more and to stand up for myself and for what I deserve.

Regret and change are two issues that I think are universally challenging, and are also two of my favorite topics, so if anyone has any advice or helpful experiences, please feel free to respond!

2 comments:

esbie said...

It's an interesting concept that we learn from regret. The word regret has negative connotations that I don't normally associate with learning experiences. In fact, feeling bad about an action and regretting an action are, to me, only separated by one thing. I regret something only if I didn't learn from it. That may sound completely contrary to the post... but I think we're really talking about the same experience under different names :)

Carpe Diem and all that Jazz

what is sb up to?

Anonymous said...

Regret stems from doubt, doubt stems from ignorance. Once it's felt, regret is difficult to entirely dispel, but remedying the ignorance at the root of it can help you to cope.

~Ben